83 Barlow Street, Winooski, Vermont, 05404 | 802-655-2360

Information for Landlords


Who do I call if I have a question or a problem?

Call the Winooski Housing Authority at 655-2360 and ask to speak with the Section 8 Administrator.

Does the Housing Authority screen Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher tenants?

The Housing Authority does not screen tenants for you. You must do this yourself, just as you would screen non-assisted tenants. You should ask for Social Security number, references, current and previous landlords, credit history, employment history, criminal record, etc., and check the information carefully.

WHA will tell you the number of people on the voucher, current and previous address, and current and previous landlord. WHA’s concern is checking that the applicant meets the income limits and other Section 8 HCV eligibility requirements. Screening the tenant is the landlord’s responsibility.

Who pays the Security Deposit?

The tenant is responsible for the security deposit. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program has no responsibility for damages, unpaid tenant rent, or other claims you might have against the tenant. The maximum security deposit you may collect is one month’s rent. You may not collect the last month’s rent.

When will I receive the rent?

Depending on when your tenant leases up there may be a 15 to 30 day delay in receiving your first rental payment. After the initial payment, the landlord will receive payment on the first of each month. The tenant will pay their portion as stated in the lease agreement.

Can I evict a problem tenant?

You may evict a Section 8 HCV tenant just as you would any non-Section 8 HCV tenant. The same laws apply.