Frequently Asked Questions


Call the Winooski Housing Authority at 802-655-2360 and ask to speak with the Section 8 Administrator.

The Housing Authority does not screen tenants for you. You must do this yourself, just as you would screen non-assisted tenants. You should ask for Social Security number, references, current and previous landlords, credit history, employment history, criminal record, etc., and check the information carefully.

WHA will tell you the number of people on the voucher, current and previous address, and current and previous landlord. WHA’s concern is checking that the applicant meets the income limits and other Section 8 HCV eligibility requirements. Screening the tenant is the landlord’s responsibility.

The tenant is responsible for the security deposit. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program has no responsibility for damages, unpaid tenant rent, or other claims you might have against the tenant. The maximum security deposit you may collect is one month’s rent. You may not collect the last month’s rent.

Depending on when your tenant leases up there may be a 15 to 30 day delay in receiving your first rental payment. After the initial payment, the landlord will receive payment on the first of each month. The tenant will pay their portion as stated in the lease agreement.

You may evict a Section 8 HCV tenant just as you would any non-Section 8 HCV tenant. The same laws apply.


In order to meet eligibility criteria the applicants must be at or below 50% of the area median income. See current income limits.

Applicants must also meet citizenship or eligible immigrant requirements; applicants must not have a recent record of violent or drug related criminal activity. Applicants must not owe rent or other amounts to any Public Housing Authority or owner in connection with any assisted housing program.

If you think you are eligible you can download an application from Forms & Applications on our Applicants page, pick up an application in our office at 83 Barlow St. Winooski, or call the office at 802-655-2360 to request that we mail you an application. The office is open Monday-Friday, 8 am-12 noon, 1-4:30 pm. We are closed from 12-1 pm and on most holidays.

Applications that are not complete will be returned.

Yes, there is a waiting list for all of our housing programs. When the WHA receives the completed application your name will be placed on our waiting list in order by date and time of its return and with any preference you might qualify for. Placement on the waiting list does not mean you are eligible for public housing. Certification of your eligibility will be done when your name comes to the top of the list.

WHA staff will make a final determination of your eligibility. When your name comes to the top of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher waiting list our office will schedule a voucher briefing and issue you your voucher. When your name comes to the top of the Public Housing or The Courtyard waiting list the Property Manager will schedule a meeting to show you the apartment and discuss the lease and program requirements.

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher

As long as the unit passes the Housing Quality Standards inspection you may use the voucher in the unit you are currently living in.

Initially you will be issued a voucher for sixty days. If you do not find a unit in that time you may submit a written request for a 30 day extension.

Normally you will not pay more than 30% of your adjusted gross income in rent. Depending on the unit you choose the initial maximum rent that you would pay is 40% of your adjusted gross income. You will have to decide if you want to go over the payment standard.

Annually the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) publishes local Fair Market Rents (FMR) the payment standard is based on the local FMR. The bedroom size of your voucher depends on your family size and composition.

You should contact the Section 8 Administrator. You will be required to complete paperwork to add or remove family members. Your voucher size may increase or decrease at your next annual recertification because of changes.

Project Based Housing

Call the main office number 802-655-2360 and the answering service will contact our on call maintenance technician.

Contact your Property Manager and they will let you know how the change will affect your rent.

Yes, pets are allowed with some restrictions. You should contact your Property Manager for more information before you get a pet.

You should always check with your Property Manager before making any alterations to your unit. Otherwise you could be in violation of your lease and charges to undo the alterations.